Google just released the Android developer preview for the Nexus 5. If you want to obtain root just follow these easy steps. We will install a custom recovery, flash SuperSU and a rooted boot image.
- Download this zip package and extract it
- Copy “SuperSU.zip” to sdcard
- Boot your Nexus into Download mode (VolDOWN + Power)
- Open a command promt in the directory, where you extracted the package
- Flash TWRP by running
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Reboot into recovery
- Flash “SuperSU.zip”
- Reeboot into Download mode
- Flash the new bootimage by running
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Congrats, you are now rooted.
You will note that root access doesn’t quite work as it did in the past with regards to system write access. This seems to be due to the previous root app breakage originally described by Chainfire with regards to the need for new security contexts. This is why certain apps can write to /system and others cannot.